Snapchats latest “Snap Maps” only launched last week but it’s already created waves in the social-sphere. Here’s what you need to know:
Snap Maps plots the precise location of users on a world map in real time. This means it’s become a lot easier to see if your mates are hanging out together, without you.
Users are able to pick whether their location is visible to a select few, all friends or nobody at all – a setting Snapchat is calling “ghost mode”.
If you choose to be visible, you’ll appear as your Avatar on your friend’s maps. It would seem your Avatar even gets an upgrade as it changes as Snapchat monitors the of speed of your movements. For example it will update to reflect the fact that you are travelling in a car.
Snapchat’s introduction video, seen above, focuses on sharing the location of posted Snap Stories which are public. What the video doesn’t highlight is that Snap Map will broadcast and update your location to anyone on your friends list every time you open the app.
So to keep you in the know, we’ve put together a list of points below that we think is noteworthy for all you Snapchatters out there:
- If you choose to share your location with all your friends on Snapchat, the app will remind you of that choice periodically to make sure you’re still comfortable with that decision.
- You’ll only be able to view mutual friends on the Map.
- Snapchat will delete your location data after a short period of time. This period of time hasn’t been specified by Snapchat.
- If you tap on your friend’s Avatar, you’ll be able see when their location was last updated.
- A friend’s location will remain on the Map for up to 8 hours if they don’t open the app again.
So how will this affect the influencer space? It opens the door to new location based campaigns, especially for events and physical activations. If you’re an Snapchat influencer expect to see this new function included in future campaigns.
One of the main things is to remember to be safe and always know your visibility setting!